Deregistering felt a bit different than I thought it might. In my head, it was a dramatic and thoughtful process... but it all happened so fast! I went in, was assigned a number, and before I knew it it was my turn. There was no long, thoughtful wait... I got distracted talking to girls around me about random things! When my number came up, it took all of 45 seconds for the employee to stamp some papers and hand me back my passport. I still felt very much a part of the city, and was ready to take on the next two days with some last minute sight-seeing.
I've mentioned this a few times before, but I felt like the "other" for the first week or so of being in Austria. Our group was loud, I had no idea where I was going, and I just felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb. Over time, however, I learned the relaxed and quiet ways of the Viennese culture. I enjoyed riding on public transport by myself with my headphones in, blending in as best I could. There were a few times that people mistook me for an Austrian, striking up conversation or asking me for directions in German. I really loved every time that happened! Don't get me wrong, I love being a tourist, but there's something nice about feeling like I fit in with different cultures.
As for the hashtags.... #KarlzsplatzCarol #Salzbudz #HowTheHellDoIGetToHutteldorfFromHere :)
I actually did not take any pictures today.... But I did go to Aida with a few friends at some point!
No comments:
Post a Comment